Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Retiring Boomers like college life"

USA Today article, January 15, 2013

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/2013/01/14/retirement-community-saving-home/1817793/

This article isn't Detroit specific. In fact, it doesn't mention Detroit at all, save for Detroit's western suburb of Ann Arbor.  Certainly has relevance to our City.  The media constantly tells us how important it is to make our City appealing to young professionals. You know, the creative class. And I totally agree with that. But, I've felt for a long time that Detroit hasn't marketed itself to the retiring baby boomers and empty nesters.  Frankly, one of the reasons I was attracted to living in the Midtown/New Center area was the proximity to Wayne State, CCS, and the many cultural and entertainment options. It really is like living in a college town, but it's a real city too!  And even though I didn't attend Wayne State University (I went to what the South End many years ago referred to as "God's Little Acre" - that Catholic school (University of Detroit) on Livernois and McNichols.), WSU and CCS have become my neighborhood schools! I attend sporting events, cultural events, art exhibitions, and more. I think these schools and others ought to seriously consider building condos on/adjacent to their campuses to attract alums and others who desire to live close to energetic college campuses. 


No comments: