Wednesday, November 04, 2009

In response to the TIME magazine article, I sent this letter to TIME Magazine:

November 3, 2009

I graduated from the University of Detroit Jesuit High School one month before the apocalyptic riots of 1967. I am most proud of the fact that U of D chose to stay in the City of Detroit, and not abandoned it as the other Catholic schools did. I would have disavowed U of D had it moved to the suburbs. My class of 1967 continues to contribute to our namesake City in many ways. For example, our class has purchased two bricks on the world-class Detroit Riverwalk walkway, the only school that has done so.

A few years ago, I moved to downtown Detroit after retiring from the Los Angeles Police Department. I wanted to be part of the solution to Detroit's problems. No doubt, the Jesuits of U of D inculcated in me a responsibility to serve as a "man for others."

No comments: